terça-feira, 7 de maio de 2019

On Andrew and devotion

Since I am pumped for #WastelandBaby, here comes a thread of thoughts I've been having over Hozier and his writing style, so don't mind me.

I noticed from the beginning that his songs tend to deal with love and desire related to devotion, I love that. Even his "I am idealizing this person" kind of songs carry a lot of that. Makes sense with him thinking of love like "I love you so by extension I hate the rest".

Of love as a violent act against the world because the person you love is all that matters. I quite like how he uses female references and pronouns for the sake of rhyme scheme so also this SHE could be me, you, anyone, no one, everyone, no matter their gender.

The people he describes are always sublime, that's so gothic and so absolutely how every woman should be seen as (or lover, you get the gist). Something not divine but that you look at and just stand in awe of. He also sometimes connects love and devotion with salvation.

His persona views his lover as someone sometimes more worth of worship in all their humanity than god, especially when sex is seen as sinful and/or nothing but a power play.

I don't care if the stories themselves arent his because the words are and if he chooses to tell this kind of story and with such care for imagery construction and the use of vocabulary... that says a lot.

He has stated time and again that making love/making babies/loving somebody is one of the most important things a person can do so. Yeah. I guess that's why his material resonates so much with me.

27/02/2019

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Obrigada pelo feedback!

Rocha

Deixo a luz do sol bater um pouco a cada vez sobre as várias faces e ranhuras lapidadas por tempo e destino para que ilumine e penetre a gra...